Inspired by the classic Reuben sandwich, this nontraditional, healthy Reuben meatloaf recipe includes sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, dill pickles and rye breadcrumbs.
Yield: 10 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 90
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup diced Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably from Jewish rye bread (see Tip)
- 2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray (or see Loaf Pan Variation).
- Pulse onion and carrot in a food processor until finely chopped. (Or finely chop them with a knife.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add sauerkraut, cheese, 2 tablespoons ketchup, caraway seeds and salt to the vegetables; stir to combine. Stir in egg and breadcrumbs. Add ground beef and with clean hands gently knead the vegetable mixture into the meat; do not overmix. Pat the meat mixture into a loaf shape (about 12 by 5 inches) on the prepared baking sheet. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Spread on the loaf.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped pickles. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while oven preheats; bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, about 1 hour.
- Tip: To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. To make fine breadcrumbs, process until very fine. To make dry breadcrumbs, spread coarse or fine breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
- Loaf Pan Variation: If you want a more uniform-shaped “loaf” you can bake your meatloaf in a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan instead of on a baking sheet. Coat the pan with cooking spray, pat the meatloaf mixture into the pan and cover with the topping. Bake for about 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes in the pan before slicing.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (34% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv), Iron (19% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable; 3 medium-fat meat; 1/2 fat