Roasted Asparagus with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
Roasted asparagus is delicious drizzled with a sauce inspired by Caesar salad dressing. Low-fat mayonnaise makes the sauce creamy without a lot of extra calories or fat. Dress up the dish with chopped hard-boiled eggs or leave them out if you're in a hurry.
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 25
- 2 bunches asparagus, (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs, (optional; see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss asparagus with oil and salt in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet and roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, water, anchovies, garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl. To serve, drizzle the asparagus with the sauce and top with hard-boiled egg (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Nutrition Per Serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (73% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat