Roasted Beets with Mustard
Try a variety of beets in this dish. The simple Dijon vinaigrette really makes the earthy beet flavor sing.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 pounds small beets, (12-16 beets)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Discard greens from beets and cut off the stems and root ends. Scrub the beets well and cut in half lengthwise. Toss the beets with oil on a baking sheet with sides. Arrange cut-side down and roast until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then peel off and discard the skins.
- Cut the beets into matchsticks. Place in a serving bowl and toss with scallions, mustard and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per serving:
122 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 348 mg sodium; 759 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (63% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat