Roasted Chicken Tenders with Peppers & Onions
Call this one an update of that favorite combo, sausage and peppers. Our healthy version can be served over rice or on a roll with a little shredded cheese for a new take on a Philly cheese steak sandwich.
From EatingWell: August/September 2005, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, jalapenos, oil and salt in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Add tenders, bell pepper and onion; toss to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly; cover with foil. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 25 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
172 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 518 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 very lean meats, 1 1/2 fat