Roasted Cod, Tomatoes, Orange & Onions
Assertive Pacific cod has enough flavor to stand up to the citrus-tinged tomatoes and onions. Serve with barley or brown rice to soak up all the delicious juices.
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 pound ripe but firm small round or plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon finely slivered orange zest (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless cod (see Tips) or other thick-cut, firm-fleshed fish, cut into 4 equal portions
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine tomatoes, onions, orange zest, oil and chopped thyme in a 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden and brown on the edges, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450°F.
- Push the vegetables aside, add fish and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; spoon the vegetables over the fish.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake until the fish is opaque in the center, about 10 to 12 minutes. To serve, divide the fish and vegetables among 4 plates and garnish with thyme sprigs.
- Tip: Using a vegetable peeler, remove 3 or 4 pieces of zest from a large orange. Stack the pieces on top of each other and slice into 1/8-inch-wide strips.
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Nutrition Per serving:
160 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 308 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat