Roasted Corn Cheese Dip
Inspired by queso fundido—melted Mexican cheese dip—this corn and warm Cheddar cheese dip is great with toasted baguette.
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Yield: 3 cups for 12 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups corn kernels (see Tip)
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a medium (10-inch) cast-iron skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add corn; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. (Corn kernels may “pop” as they brown.) Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar and cream cheese. Transfer to the oven.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese dip with cayenne (or chili powder) and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Remove Corn Kernels: Stand an ear on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. To extract the corn “milk” and get more flavor for sauces, soups or puddings, add another step to the process: After cutting the kernels off, press the dull side of the knife down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. Yield: You’ll get about 1 cup fresh kernels from one large ear of corn.
Nutrition Per Serving: 155 calories; 11 g fat (7 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 high-fat meat