Roasted Corn Cheese Dip
Inspired by queso fundido—melted Mexican cheese dip—this corn and warm Cheddar cheese dip is great with toasted baguette.Yield: 3 cups for 12 servings
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 35
- 3 cups corn kernels (see Tip)
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a medium (10-inch) cast-iron skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add corn; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. (Corn kernels may “pop” as they brown.) Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar and cream cheese. Transfer to the oven.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese dip with cayenne (or chili powder) and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Remove Corn Kernels: Stand an ear on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. To extract the corn “milk” and get more flavor for sauces, soups or puddings, add another step to the process: After cutting the kernels off, press the dull side of the knife down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. Yield: You’ll get about 1 cup fresh kernels from one large ear of corn.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||11 g (7 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Calcium (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1/2 starch, 1 high-fat meat
From EatingWell July/August 2012