Roasted Red Pepper Subs
When the occasion calls for a sophisticated sandwich, simply layer roasted red peppers, goat cheese and peppery arugula on a crusty baguette.
From EatingWell: January/February 1998, The EatingWell Diet (2007), The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 16- to 20-inch baguette, preferably whole-wheat
- 3 tablespoon olive paste, (olivada)
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves
- Combine peppers, garlic, vinegar and oil in a small bowl; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice baguette in half lengthwise. Spread one half with olive paste and the other half with goat cheese. Layer pepper mixture and arugula over olive paste. Top with remaining baguette. Cut across into 4 pieces.
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator or in a cooler with a cold pack for up to 8 hours.
Nutrition Per serving:
221 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat