Roasted Rhubarb Salad
Rhubarb roasted for just a few minutes is a tart topping for a mixed green salad with raisins, walnuts and goat cheese.
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Yield: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss rhubarb with sugar in a medium bowl until well coated; let stand, stirring once or twice, for about 10 minutes. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add greens; toss to coat with the dressing. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Top with the rhubarb, goat cheese (or feta), walnuts and raisins.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
197 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 211 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat