Roasted Squash & Fennel with Thyme
We have only one word for this recipe: magical. As the vegetables roast in the oven, the fennel develops sweet, caramel flavors and the summer squash is infused with the garlic. Serve it with grilled pork chops or chicken.Yield: 4 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 2 small summer squash, (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fennel bulb, (about 1 small bulb), plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Quarter squash lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Combine the squash with sliced fennel, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and roast until the vegetables are tender and the fennel is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Stir in fennel fronds and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||4 g (1 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 1 fat
From EatingWell July/August 2009