Roasted Squash & Fennel with Thyme
We have only one word for this recipe: magical. As the vegetables roast in the oven, the fennel develops sweet, caramel flavors and the summer squash is infused with the garlic. Serve it with grilled pork chops or chicken.
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Yield: 4 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 small summer squash, (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fennel bulb, (about 1 small bulb), plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Quarter squash lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Combine the squash with sliced fennel, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and roast until the vegetables are tender and the fennel is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Stir in fennel fronds and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving: 66 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 388 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat