Rolled Sugar Cookies
These make great holiday cookies when cut into shapes and decorated, but they're also a fine addition to your everyday cookie jar. We've cut the butter from an entire stick to just 2 tablespoons, cooking it until it turns a nutty brown to maximize the rich flavor.
From EatingWell: September/October 1996, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: About 30 cookies
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute, and pour into a mixing bowl. Add sugar (or Splenda) and oil; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Divide the dough in half and press each piece into a disk.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies with small (about 2- to 2 1/2-inch) cookie cutters. Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies in the upper third of the oven, 1 sheet at a time, until slightly golden on the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not overbake. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the dough through Step 3; wrap well and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (If frozen, return to room temperature before rolling out.) Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Nutrition Per cookie:
53 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Per cookie with Splenda: 1/2 carbohydrate serving; 49 calories, 6 g carbohydrate.