Rum-Raisin Frozen Yogurt
Dark rum is essential in making this rum-raisin frozen yogurt. It mellows when the raisins have a chance to drink up the rum overnight.
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours (includes freezing time)
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1/3 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart low-fat plain yogurt
- Combine rum and raisins in a small bowl and let stand for several hours or overnight.
- Combine milk and gelatin in a small saucepan and allow gelatin to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in sugar and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until sugar and gelatin are just dissolved. Remove from the heat and add corn syrup and vanilla. Let cool and stir in yogurt and the rum-raisin mixture.
- Transfer to an ice-cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Pack in a container and store in the freezer for at least 2 to 3 hours before serving. Allow to soften in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving in chilled dishes.
Nutrition Per serving:
343 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 653 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (19% daily value), Calcium (37% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 reduced-fat milk