Rustic Mexican Stew
A fiesta-in-a-bowl, this stew gets vibrant colors and flavor from scallions, carrots, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro and a whole ear of corn. Top it with diced avocado, hot sauce or salsa.
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 2 servings, 2 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 ear of corn, husked and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, scallion whites, carrot, jalapeno, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Uncover, add cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, corn and the cooked chicken; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens, lime juice and cilantro.
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat; stir in cilantro before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
277 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 464 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat