Salad of Bitter Greens & Walnuts
Toasted chopped walnuts are echoed in the walnut oil vinaigrette used to dress this salad of bitter greens.
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 16 cups washed, dried and torn mixed salad greens, such as escarole, chicory and/or radicchio
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk together broth, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl. Add greens and toss thoroughly. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional pepper to taste.
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
75 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 373 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat