Sauerkraut & Sausage Casserole
One bite of this hearty sausage casserole recipe—full of sauerkraut, apples and kielbasa—and you’ll be transported to a tiny pub in the Alsace region of northern France. Serve with extra mustard if you like.
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 40
Total Time: 105
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway or fennel seeds
- 1 large sweet-tart apple, such as Braeburn, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 10 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 1/2 cups drained sauerkraut, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in caraway (or fennel) seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add apple and wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in sausage, sauerkraut, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish.
- Toss potato slices with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, butter and salt in a bowl until coated. Cover the sauerkraut mixture with tightly overlapping potato slices.
- Bake the casserole until the potato edges start to get crispy, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 2 and let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature; continue with Step 3 and preheat oven.
Nutrition Per Serving: 273 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 694 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat