This classic stuffing pairs turkey sausage with the tangy sweetness of apples. By using turkey sausage instead of pork, we cut the fat content from 19 grams to 4.
From EatingWell: November/December 1992, November/December 2010
Yield: 10 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 50
Total Time: 80
- 8 cups cubed whole-wheat bread, (12 slices)
- 8 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 stalks stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Golden Delicious or McIntosh apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to break it up, until no longer pink, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander to remove excess fat.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium-low heat. Add celery, onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the sausage, toasted bread, sage, thyme and basil to the bowl. Toss well. Drizzle broth over the mixture and toss until evenly moistened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a lightly oiled 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Cover the stuffing with foil and bake until heated through, 35 to 45 minutes. If you want a crisp top, uncover it for the last 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes before baking.
Nutrition Per Serving: 183 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 lean meat