Sauté of Cauliflower & Mustard Greens with Peanuts
Cauliflower and mustard greens is an unusual combination that really works, especially when tossed with a subtle peanut sauce. Make it a meal: Brown rice is the perfect accompaniment.
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Yield: 2 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, (1/2 small head)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or water
- 8 cups firmly packed, coarsely chopped mustard greens, stems included, (1-pound bunch)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Whisk together peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce and water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until very hot. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add cauliflower and vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add greens and simmer, covered, until the greens are tender, an additional 5 minutes. (Do not overcook the greens or they will lose their vibrant color.) Stir in the peanut sauce and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with chopped peanuts.
Nutrition Per serving:
319 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 14 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 1396 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (478% daily value), Vitamin C (263% dv), Folate (132% dv), Potassium (40% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 2 1/2 fat