Sauteed Green Beans & Cherry Tomatoes
Here's a simple saute that is well suited for a special meal and versatile enough for your everyday repertoire.
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Yield: 4 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and cook, stirring often, until seared in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes for tender-crisp or 6 minutes for tender. Push the beans to the side; add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, stir everything together and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per serving:
71 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 379 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin K (26% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat