Savory Prosciutto Muffins
Chopped onion caramelized in butter gives these muffins a sweet and savory flavor. The prosciutto adds a hit of salt and richness. Serrano ham or other cured ham can be used in place of the prosciutto, if preferred.Yield: 1 dozen muffins
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 45
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced prosciutto, (2 ounces)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk flour, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until blended.
- Fold the onion mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Steps 2 & 3, keeping the onion mixture, dry and wet ingredients separate; cover and refrigerate for up 1 day. Continue with Step 4 just before baking.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||6 g (2 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 starch, 1 fat
From EatingWell May/June 2008