Seared Scallops with Crispy Leeks
Herb-crusted scallops served with crispy baked leeks make an easy yet impressive dish to serve to friends. You may have seen “frizzled” or fried leeks on a restaurant menu before, but you might not guess how easy they are to make at home. Here we toss thinly sliced leeks with paprika- and garlic-seasoned flour and bake them until crispy. While the leeks bake you have time to sear the scallops. Serve with: Mashed potatoes and kale sautéed with garlic.
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound dry sea scallops, tough side muscle removed
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut leek in half lengthwise, then cut each piece in half crosswise. Cut each quarter into long, thin strips. Rinse the strips in hot water and pat dry. Toss in a medium bowl with 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle flour, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt over the leeks; toss well to combine. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring once or twice, until the leeks are crispy and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand on the baking sheet until the scallops are done.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt with Italian seasoning, lemon zest and pepper in a small bowl. Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with the seasoning mixture. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve the scallops with the crispy leeks on top.
Nutrition Per Serving: 185 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 1 g fiber; 478 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat