Scrambled Egg with Tofu
Even when you are cooking for one, it's worth taking a few minutes to make a hot, protein-rich breakfast. By stretching an egg with a little tofu, you reduce the cholesterol and saturated fat. Try tucking it into a whole-wheat pita pocket for a simple and satisfying breakfast sandwich-and a healthful alternative to fast-food fare.
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 1 serving
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Dash of hot sauce, such as
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled tofu, (silken or regular)
- Blend egg, tarragon, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a small bowl with a fork. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until warmed through, 20 to 30 seconds. Add egg mixture and stir until the egg is set, but still creamy, 20 to 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per serving:
140 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 230 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat. 1 fat (mono)