Seafood Couscous Paella
Whole-wheat couscous soaks up this savory saffron-infused broth.Yield: 2 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 35
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces bay scallops, tough muscle removed
- 4 ounces small shrimp, (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat couscous
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seed, salt, pepper and saffron; cook for 20 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, stir in scallops and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes; fluff.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (1 g sat, 4 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (40% daily value), Selenium (43% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 3
Exchanges 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
From EatingWell October/November 2006