Seared Chicken with Apricot Sauce
Fresh apricots, white wine, apricot preserves and tarragon combine in a quick sauce that's delicious on chicken. We pound the chicken thin so that it cooks in just a couple of minutes. Let this basic recipe inspire you to create your own variations. Try different combinations of wine (or even fruit juice with a touch of vinegar) and other fruits and preserves. Serve with: Quinoa or brown rice and sautéed spinach.
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and tenders removed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 4 fresh apricots, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon , or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm. (If necessary, cook the chicken in two batches with an additional 1 tablespoon oil.)
- Off the heat, add wine and shallot to the pan. Return to medium heat and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Add apricots and cook until the fruit begins to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in preserves, tarragon and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Return the chicken to the pan and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving: 252 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat