Sesame-Ginger Pork Patty with Grilled Pineapple
Ditch the bun and serve this Asian-inspired pork burger with sweet grilled pineapple on top of a zesty watercress-and-carrot salad. We like the taste and texture of fresh pineapple for this recipe, but canned pineapple rings work well too. Serve with short-grain brown rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 pineapple rings, 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups watercress (about 1 large bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
- Combine soy sauce, scallions, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a small bowl. Place pork in a medium bowl. Add half of the sauce mixture to the pork and gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil and vinegar to the remaining sauce mixture and set aside.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the pineapple rings to the grill and cook, turning once, until dark grill marks appear.
- Combine watercress and carrot in a large bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each portion with a pineapple ring and a burger. Drizzle any remaining sauce on top.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Stovetop Variation: Coat a nonstick pan, preferably cast-iron (or a grill pan), with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 155°F (for pork and bison) or 165° (for beef or chicken), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (75% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat