Shiitake & Noodle Hot & Sour Soup
This vegetarian hot-&-sour-inspired soup is chock-full of tofu and vegetables, plus noodles to make it hearty enough for dinner.Yield: 8 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 240
- 24 dried shiitake or black Chinese mushrooms (2-3 ounces)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-by-2-inch sticks
- 2 8-ounce cans bamboo shoots, rinsed
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce (see Tip), plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked lo mein noodles (about 6 ounces dry)
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- Discard mushroom stems and cut the caps into 1/2-inch pieces. Spread the mushroom pieces in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add carrots and bamboo shoots. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch pieces, add to slow cooker and sprinkle with white pepper. Top with cabbage.
- Combine 4 cups water, broth, both vinegars, soy sauce, chile-garlic sauce and ginger in a bowl; add to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook 4 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low.
- Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup water, cornstarch and sesame oil in a bowl. Stir into the soup. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes. Stir in noodles, cover and heat through for 10 minutes. Serve topped with scallions and with more soy sauce and chile-garlic sauce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep mushrooms and vegetables; combine the liquids and ginger used in Step 2. Refrigerate separately. Equipment: 6-quart or larger slow cooker
- Tip: Look for chile-garlic sauce, a blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, in the Asian section of large supermarkets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||6 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (55% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
From EatingWell January/February 2012