Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onions
A small amount of bacon goes a long way to flavor these very thinly sliced Brussels sprouts—the results may even win over sprout skeptics.
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Yield: 6 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble.
- Add onion and salt to the drippings in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until tender and browned, about 3 minutes. Add water and mustard and scrape up any browned bits. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar and top with the crumbled bacon.
Nutrition Per Serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 171 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (145% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable