Zesty Shrimp & Black Bean Salad
Loaded with fresh tomatoes, peppers and cilantro and seasoned with cumin and chile, this shrimp and black bean salad recipe has all the flavors of a great fresh salsa and is a quick and easy no-cook recipe. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh corn tortillas.
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo (see Tips), or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (see Tips), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 large poblano pepper or bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle, cumin and salt in a large bowl. Add shrimp, beans, tomatoes, poblano (or bell pepper), scallions and cilantro; toss to coat. Serve room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tips: Peppers, chipotle, in adobo sauce: Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
- For shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices, look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught. To peel, grasp the legs and hold onto the tail while you twist off the shell. To devein, use a paring knife to make a slit along the length of the shrimp. Remove the dark digestive tract (or “vein”) with the knife tip.
Nutrition Per Serving: 273 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 533 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Potassium & Vitamin A (16% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat