While most Caesars drown the greens in a heavy dressing, this lemony version lets the taste of the shrimp shine through. Don't worry about the anchovies - they'll mellow in the dressing, giving it a rich taste that can't be duplicated.
From EatingWell: June/July 2005, EatingWell Serves Two, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 4 servings, about 2 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies, coarsely chopped, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, or to taste
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups chopped hearts of romaine, (about 2 hearts)
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-grain (see Tip)
- Place lemon juice, mustard, anchovies (or anchovy paste) and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add oil; process until creamy. Add 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and pepper; pulse until combined.
- Combine romaine, shrimp and croutons in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates, top with the remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 1) will keep, in a jar in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. Shake vigorously just before tossing with the salad.
- Tip: To make homemade croutons: Toss 1 cup whole-grain bread cubes with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a pinch each of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spread out on a baking sheet and toast at 350°F until crispy, turning occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
354 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 241 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 746 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat