Shrimp & Plum Kebabs
Toss quick-cooking shrimp, juicy summertime plums and zesty jalapeños with a simple cilantro-lime marinade for a deluxe meal in minutes. If you like, use peaches or nectarines in place of the plums and red or green bell peppers for the jalapeños.
From EatingWell: August/September 2006, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, or toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 raw shrimp, (8-12 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 2 plums, pitted and cut into sixths
- Whisk oil, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and salt in a large bowl. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the mixture in a small bowl to use as dressing. Add shrimp, jalapeños and plums to the remaining marinade; toss to coat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Make 4 kebabs, alternating shrimp, jalapeños and plums evenly among four 10-inch skewers. (Discard the marinade.) Grill the kebabs, turning once, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 8 minutes total. Drizzle with the reserved dressing.
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Four 10-inch skewers
Nutrition Per serving:
194 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 221 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 446 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (64% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat