Sicilian Olive Chicken
This saucy one-skillet chicken dish is full of tomatoes, spinach, olives and capers. Try Kalamata olives in place of the green Sicilians or a combination of both. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a mixed green salad on the side.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 20
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil or other Italian-style seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/3 cup halved Sicilian or other green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 4 4-ounce chicken cutlets (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomatoes, spinach, olives, capers and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn it over; top with the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you can’t find chicken cutlets for this recipe, you can make your own. Purchase four 5-ounce chicken breasts. Remove the tenders and trim the fat. Place the chicken between pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to about 1/2 inch thick.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (151% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable,3 lean meat, 1 fat