Sicilian Spaghetti Cake (Pasticcio di Spaghetti alla Siracusana)
This crusty pasta cake is full of flavorful ingredients. Simply serve with a tossed salad for a quick supper.
From EatingWell: November 1997
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
- 12 imported black olives, pitted
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers, (green, red or yellow), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces thin whole-wheat spaghetti, or vermicelli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Combine tomatoes, olives, basil and capers in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add tomato mixture and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti (or vermicelli) in boiling salted water until al dente, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Add to sauce and mix well. Let cool to room temperature. Stir in Pecorino Romano.
- Brush the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over the bottom and sides of a heavy 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Heat the pan over medium heat. Remove from heat; add pasta mixture and press firmly into an even layer.
- Bake pasta until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Run a knife around the inside edge of the pan and invert the spaghetti cake onto a large platter. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4. The pasta mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before proceeding.
Nutrition Per serving:
382 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 8 g fiber; 604 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (128% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat