Capers and garlic add real Sicilian flavor to sauteed broccoli.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 bunch broccoli, (1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut off and separate broccoli florets. Trim the tough ends of the stalks; peel the stalks if desired and cut crosswise into 3/8-inch-thick slices.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add capers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets and stalks and water; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until any remaining water evaporates, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per serving:
63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 156 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (221% dv), Vitamin A (85% daily value), Folate (25% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat