Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
Sizzling green beans in a little oil helps to bring out their natural sweetness. Prosciutto, pine nuts and lemon zest dress up the flavor without adding a lot of fat - a nice alternative to full-fat, creamy green bean casseroles.Yield: 8 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into ribbons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil, and simmer until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook, stirring, until crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe out the pan; heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the beans, garlic, sage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pine nuts, lemon zest and the prosciutto. Season with lemon juice, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||5 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 2 vegetable, 1 fat
From EatingWell October/November 2006