Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans
In this one-skillet supper, we toss dark leafy greens, diced tomatoes and white beans with gnocchi and top it all with gooey mozzarella. Serve with a mixed green salad with vinaigrette.Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi, (see Tip)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta in the Italian section of most supermarkets.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (2 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Calcium & Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 3
Exchanges 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
From EatingWell January/February 2009