This scrumptious nonalcoholic punch adds pear, cranberries and vanilla to the traditional hot cider.Yield: 10 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 50
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 pears, chopped into bite-size pieces, divided
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine water, sugar, ginger and 1 pear in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids and return the mixture to the pan.
- Add the remaining pears, cider, lemon and allspice and heat over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Add cranberries and vanilla and reduce the heat to medium-low (the liquid should be simmering, not boiling). Let simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve in heat-safe mugs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||0 g (0 g sat, 0 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 3
Exchanges 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrates
From EatingWell November/December 2009