Picadillo, a Latin American-style hash, is usually made with ground beef. This one uses bison or lean beef and plenty of spices including chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon.
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Yield: 8 servings, generous 1 cup each
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: Slow-cooker time: 4-8 hours
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground bison or lean (90% lean or leaner) ground beef
- 4 ounces chorizo-style cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed or coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups chopped seeded Cubanelle or Anaheim peppers
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bison (or beef) and sausage and cook, breaking up the bison (or beef) with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 6 minutes. If necessary, transfer to a colander and drain any extra fat, then return to the skillet.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon; cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste and vinegar until combined.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in onion, peppers, corn, olives and garlic. Add tomatoes with their juice.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir the picadillo to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate the mixture in a large container. Transfer to the slow cooker to cook. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Nutrition Per Serving: 311 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 551 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Zinc (37% dv), Vitamin A (34% dv), Iron (22% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 fat