Smoked Salmon Bites
Wasabi mayonnaise really sets off the smoked salmon in these rice-cracker treats. If desired, you can set out the spread, salmon, ginger and rice crackers separately and let your guests build their own (but have plenty of extra salmon on hand if you do).
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Yield: 2 dozen appetizers
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 20
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste, or 2 teaspoons wasabi powder mixed with 1 tablespoon water (see Tip)
- 24 mini rice crackers
- 4-6 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 24 1-inch pieces
- 24 small pieces pickled ginger, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Mix mayonnaise and wasabi paste (or reconstituted wasabi powder) in a small bowl.
- Top each cracker with 1 piece salmon, 1/2 teaspoon wasabi mayonnaise, 1 piece pickled ginger and a sprinkling of lemon zest.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the wasabi mayonnaise (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Wasabi paste, wasabi powder and pickled ginger can be found in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets.
Nutrition Per Serving: 52 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch