Smoky Ham & Corn Salad
Fresh corn, diced deli ham and crunchy croutons are tossed with a smoky, creamy dressing in this light summer salad. Serve with a crisp glass of rosé and sliced melon.Yield: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 15
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups trimmed frisée, (about 1 large head) or 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 1 large ear; see Tip)
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-grain
- 3/4 cup diced ham, (about 4 ounces)
Whisk sour cream, vinegar, paprika and salt in a large bowl. Add frisée (or salad greens), tomato, corn, croutons and ham; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Smoked paprika is a spice made from ground smoke-dried red peppers. It's available in some large supermarkets with other spices and at tienda.com.
- Tip: To remove corn from the cob, stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (2 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (70% daily value), Folate (52% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
From EatingWell July/August 2009