Don't let the name intimidate you. This delicious take on the Swedish “savory sandwich torte” is sure to please family and guests alike. We've transformed this traditional smoked-fish dish into a light layered sandwich that captures the essence of Scandinavia. Make it a meal: Serve with a beet salad or steamed red potatoes.
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Kitchen Tip), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rinsed capers, (optional)
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, shredded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 12 thin slices whole-wheat bread, or rye bread, lightly toasted
- Mix sour cream, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, dill, onion and capers (if using) in another medium bowl. Stir in half of the sour cream mixture.
- Add trout, celery, parsley, caraway seeds (if using) and pepper to the remaining sour cream mixture.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide the egg mixture among 4 slices of bread. Top with bread, then spread with the trout mixture. Top with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
- Kitchen Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Nutrition Per serving:
385 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 326 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Fiber (16% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat