Smothered Green Beans with New Potatoes
This green bean recipe from chef Alex Patout of Landry’s restaurant in New Iberia, Louisiana, gets plenty of flavor from bacon and onions.
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Yield: 8 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 12 ounces new potatoes (4-6 small), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and cook until slightly browned but still soft. Add beans, onions, potatoes, pepper, salt and water. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour. Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and most of the water has evaporated, 20 to 25 minutes more.
Nutrition Per Serving: 88 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 272 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat