Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup
Serve this zesty bean and barley soup garnished with chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired.Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 135
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 9 cups water
- 4 cups (32-ounce carton) reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried black beans
- 1/3 cup dried great northern beans
- 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add water, broth, barley, black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours (adding more water, 1/2 cup at a time, if necessary or desired). Season with salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Slow-Cooker Variation: Use 2 cups water (instead of 9 cups) and combine all ingredients in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook until the beans are tender, about 4 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||3 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (49% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1 1/2
Exchanges 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
From EatingWell November/December 2010