Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup Mix
Making your own dry soup mix from beans and spices couldn’t be easier. Layered in a jar, it makes a very pretty gift.
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Yield: Enough dry soup mix for 8 cups soup
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup dried black beans
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/3 cup dried great northern beans
- Layer chili powder, cumin, oregano, black beans, barley, kidney beans and great northern beans in a clean, dry 2-cup jar or bag.
- To turn the soup mix into a pot of soup: Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 diced large onion, 1 diced celery stalk and 1 diced carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 9 cups water, 4 cups broth and the soup mix. Bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours (adding more water, 1/2 cup at a time, if necessary or desired). Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.