Southwestern Vegetable & Chicken Soup
Who wouldn’t want to eat their vegetables when they’re tucked into a fragrant broth with bits of tasty chicken and spiked with a shot of fresh lime and cilantro? This healthy chicken vegetable soup seems even richer with the smoky flavor from roasted poblano peppers and garlic. Serve this healthy chicken soup recipe with tortilla chips.
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Yield: 8 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 medium poblano peppers
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red or green bell pepper (1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, or frozen, thawed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped chard or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- To roast poblanos: Position oven rack about 5 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line the broiler pan with foil. Broil whole poblanos, turning once, until starting to blacken, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper bag and let steam to loosen skins, about 10 minutes. When the poblanos are cool enough to handle, peel, seed, stem and coarsely chop; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add onion, bell pepper, green beans and garlic. Cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes and the chopped poblanos; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the reserved chicken and juices, chard (or spinach) and corn; return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes more to heat through and blend flavors.
- Top each portion with 1 tablespoon each cilantro and lime juice; serve with lime wedges.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months; add cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
199 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 6 g fiber; 638 mg sodium; 794 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (58% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (16% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat