Southwestern Scrambled Eggs
Sick of plain scrambled eggs? Cilantro, scallions and salsa to the rescue! Serve with warm corn tortillas and black beans.
From EatingWell: November 1997
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner set at medium-low and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden and fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut the toasted tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the tortilla strips, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté scallions. Add egg mixture; scramble until eggs are set. Serve with cilantro and salsa.
Nutrition Per serving:
157 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 210 mg sodium; 178 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat