Southwestern Tofu Scramble
Cooking crumbled firm tofu in a skillet approximates the fluffy texture of scrambled eggs in this vegetable-studded, vegetarian main dish. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve with steamed corn tortillas, some extra salsa and black beans.
Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 14-ounce package firm water-packed tofu, rinsed and crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, chili powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the tofu begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add zucchini, corn, scallions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese until just melted. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (35% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat