Sparkling Orange Cocktails
Homemade orange syrup makes a delicious addition to these sparkling cocktails.
From EatingWell: March 1998
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours (includes chilling)
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle chilled Champagne, or sparkling wine
- To make syrup: With a sharp knife, thinly slice oranges. Place in a medium nonreactive saucepan and toss with sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add orange juice and vodka to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is syrupy and orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To make cocktails: With a vegetable peeler, remove 8 long strips of zest from the orange. Twist each strip and place in a champagne glass. Add 1 tablespoon bitter-orange syrup to each glass. Top with Champagne and stir gently. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Steps 1-3) for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Per serving:
196 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 130 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate