Spice-Crusted Chicken with Citrus Salsa
While this recipe calls for oranges, grapefruit would work equally well. This salsa would also be terrific tucked into fish tacos.
From EatingWell: March 1998
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a bowl, cut orange segments from their surrounding membranes. Stir in onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make chicken: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander, cumin and pepper; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 45 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and add salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat the chicken with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the chicken is opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top with the salsa.
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Nutrition Per serving:
210 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 426 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Selenium (37% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat