Spiced Chickpea “Nuts”
When roasted in a hot oven, chickpeas become super crunchy. They’re a great low-fat substitute for nuts when salty cravings hit.Yield: 4 servings, 1/4 cup each
Active Time: 5
Total Time: 60
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Blot chickpeas dry and toss in a bowl with oil, cumin, marjoram, allspice and salt. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring once or twice, until browned and crunchy, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||5 g (0 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 starch, 1/2 lean mean, 1 fat
From EatingWell September/October 2009