Spiced Chickpea “Nuts”
When roasted in a hot oven, chickpeas become super crunchy. They’re a great low-fat substitute for nuts when salty cravings hit.
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Yield: 4 servings, 1/4 cup each
Active Time: 5
Total Time: 60
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Blot chickpeas dry and toss in a bowl with oil, cumin, marjoram, allspice and salt. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring once or twice, until browned and crunchy, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 103 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean mean, 1 fat