Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
Canned chipotle peppers add a rich, smoky flavor to these black bean sandwiches. Make it a meal: Serve with crunchy Mexican Coleslaw and Papaya-Lime Sorbet.
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 4 6-inch pita breads
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and sliced
- Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime juice in a large bowl, and season with salt to taste. Slightly mash the beans while stirring, until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture just holds together.
- Slice off the top third of each pita. Spread the bean mixture inside each pita. Top with the chipotle mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced avocados and tomatoes. Serve within 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Canned chipotles packed in adobo sauce can be found in the Mexican section of a large supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Per Serving: 466 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 18 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (26% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Folate (17% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat