Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
Canned chipotle peppers add a rich, smoky flavor to these black bean sandwiches. Make it a meal: Serve with crunchy Mexican Coleslaw and Papaya-Lime Sorbet.
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 4 6-inch pita breads
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and sliced
- Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime juice in a large bowl, and season with salt to taste. Slightly mash the beans while stirring, until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture just holds together.
- Slice off the top third of each pita. Spread the bean mixture inside each pita. Top with the chipotle mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced avocados and tomatoes. Serve within 30 minutes.
- Canned chipotles packed in adobo sauce can be found in the Mexican section of a large supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Per serving:
466 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 18 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (26% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Folate (17% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat