Spicy Cucumber Dipping Sauce
A bright accompaniment for grilled fish or shellfish.
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Yield: About 1 cup
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh hot red or jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Using a mortar and pestle or working on a cutting board with the flat of a large knife, mash the garlic, pepper, sugar and salt into a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in vinegar, cucumber and lime juice. Add a small amount of water if the sauce is too acidic for your taste. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Per tablespoon:
10 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 163 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food