Spicy Peanut Noodles
When you can't get out to get take-out, make these easy favorites yourself with what's in the pantry.
From EatingWell: May/June 1998, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 12 ounces whole-wheat pasta
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 4 sliced scallions
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Sliced cucumber, for garnish
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until just tender, according to package directions. Whisk peanut butter with boiling water in a bowl until smooth. Stir in scallions, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, sugar and cayenne. Toss with hot pasta. Garnish with cucumber. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Per serving:
342 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 9 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 172 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (59% daily value), Magnesium (22% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 high-fat meat